Thursday, August 20, 2009

Advice from Sommelier Richard Slutter

Well isn’t this exciting! For my first post I thought I’d address some questions about a subject most popular at XIX; Wine Pairings.

When you have a Wine List as large and diverse as XIX’s it is inevitable that the most prominent question I’m asked tableside is; what wine should I choose? Wine Pairing can be lots of fun, it can bring out new flavors in food, minimize others and make a great dish something really special. So here’s a few hints.

1) Know that your opinion does matter. If you’ve always liked Chardonnay, but never Sauvignon Blanc, don’t try to be a hero and choose the latter because someone told you to. Remember drinking wine is about enjoyment and expanding horizons.
2) The “squeeze of lemon rule”. My personal favorite. Simply put; if the dish you are enjoying could benefit from a squeeze of lemon (think XIX’s fresh briny Gigamoto Oysters, or Gardeny Rocket Salad) then a wine with strong citrus flavors will go well. For this reason when guests are looking for a wine to go with XIX’s extensive raw bar a lemony New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc or Un-oaked Chardonnay are my most common suggestions.
3) Complement flavors. XIX features a lovely Local Grass Fed Beef Tenderloin, accompanying mashed potatoes and delicately seasoned dandelion greens with a dash of garlic and parmesan. Obviously we are all thinking red wine here. Now, try to remember laying in your front yard as a youngster chewing on Dandelions, or trying to make whistles out of the stems! I remember dandelions as pretty bitter, and tasting very green. A classic Napa Valley Cabernet will be ripe and fruity and also have a touch of earthy character that will complement the bitterness of the dandelion greens.
4) Ask for help. The staff at XIX is highly trained in wine and loves to assist guests with the wine list. If you don’t know what to order let myself or one of my staff pair the meal for you. Frequently, suggested pairings will also be posted for guest convenience; I’m currently putting together Restaurant Week Pairings right now! How’s Rose Prosecco sounding with Fresh Blue Point Oysters?

With these suggestions in mind I look forward to welcoming you back to XIX for a great glass of wine, and a great epicurean experience. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment